Assistant Librarian Job Description
Responsible for day-to-day operation of the library, including public services and technical/clerical services, under supervision of the library director.
- Ability to work independently, including running the library in library director's absence
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work cordially and cooperatively
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Proficiency in using computers and office machines
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to an environment which is changing very rapidly, particularly in the area of information technology
- Work one evening a week and one Saturday a month
- Assist library patrons in a welcoming manner
- Help with basic reference service
- Manage circulation desk, including circulating materials, handling overdues, and shelving materials.
- Offer interlibrary loan and reserve services, and help patrons fill out necessary forms
- Instruct patrons in use of computer-based resources
- Social media marketing, using programs such as MailChimp, Canva, etc.
- Supervise and train volunteers in such areas as shelving, shelf reading, filing and processing books.
- Technical services, including periodicals, cataloging assistance; collection of statistics; processing of new materials; ordering of supplies
- Miscellaneous duties, depending on interest, may include: creation of book displays, help with programming for children and/or adults
- Attend professional development programs virtually or in person
- Occasional light housekeeping such as water plants and running vacuum.
- Other duties as needed
- Familiarity with library services
- Superior technical knowledge
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Position is full time, 35 - 40 hours per week.
- Compensation is $18/hour, plus health insurance and other benefits
- Afternoons and some weekends are required.