Using the talents and skills of a small flexible staff, the Dover Free Library serves people of all ages and from all walks of life. All employees are responsible for offering quality library services to the public as well as technical and clerical work behind the scenes. The Children's Librarian reports to the Library Director.
- Plan, budget, and supervise children's library services and programs on a weekly basis.
- Serve as part of the library's management team to assure coordination with library administration and other staff.
- Work closely with Library Director to develop goals and objectives for children's services as part of the overall library plan.
- Advocate and evaluate services to children within the community.
- Review, develop, and manage children's book collection, supplies and materials.
- Provide reader's advisory services to children and young adults.
- Technology Representative, Program Coordinator, Public Relations and program advertisement.
- Broad knowledge of children's needs and a genuine caring respect for children.
- Attain a broad knowledge of children's literature.
- Ability to plan and carry out all aspects of children's programming.
- Ability to work well with people of all ages and from all walks of life.
- Ability and willingness to promote children's services and work with other agencies serving the needs of children in the community.
- Creativity, problem-solving skills, and an attention to detail.
- Ability to plan, manage, and evaluate services.
- Knowledge of basic library services and tools, and a willingness to learn more.
- Proficiency in the use of computers and office machines.
- Flexibility and willingness to adapt to an environment which is changing rapidly.
- Bachelor's degree and some formal library, or child-related experience.
- A Vermont Public Library Certificate, or MLS, or a willingness to obtain one or the other within five years from the date of employment.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Read, write, and speak English fluently.